My son LOVES Halloween, but he doesn’t really love big, bulky costumes. As a toddler, he refused to keep his costumes on and would end up with regular clothes and maybe a hat, if we were lucky. And so, I tried to think of what would work for him- something he would have fun wearing but that wouldn’t get in his way. The GLOW STICK MAN was a perfect idea for him!
Like most kids, he loves glow sticks and duct tape, and so he was game when I told him all he would need was black shirt and pants, glow sticks, and tape. It really couldn’t be easier! You could also use a Morph Suit.
WHAT YOU NEED~
BLACK LONG-SLEEVED SHIRT
BLACK ATHLETIC PANTS
SUN VISOR TO ATTACH THE CIRCLE FOR THE HEAD
16-20 GLOW STICKS FOR EACH SIDE (32-40 TO DO FRONT AND BACK)- depends on the size of your child
CLEAR PACKING TAPE
1. Have your child put on his black clothing or Morph Suit.
2. Tape the first glow stick horizontally across his/her body between the shoulders.
3. Continue to attach glow sticks down the arms.
4. Attach glow sticks in a straight line vertically down the center of his/her body starting at the first stick.
5. Continue vertically down the legs.
6. For the head, use a sun visor and turn it around backward. Use 4 glow sticks connected to make a circle. Tape the circle to the back of the visor so that the circle hangs down. The child will wear the visor backwards on his/her head.
We used green on the front and orange on the back. It was so great for keeping up with our son, too! Easy to see, that is for sure!! I would suggest using more tape than you think- put it on the ends but also in the middle of the glow sticks. We also kept a small roll of tape in his bag so that we could re-attach if needed.
He loved this costume so much that he wants to do it again next year- I think it is because he was given extra candy at several houses because they liked his costume so much! I also think this would look very cute as a group costume!
Let me know if you try it- I would love to see!