Don’t let summer slip by without making these delightful little treats! You know how I love easy treats that the kids can help make, and this dessert fits the bill perfectly! These ice cream cupcakes are great for a family or a crowd. The one below shows the cupcakes I made for the grown-ups…I hardly had time to take a picture of the kid-version….they were gobbled up way too fast!
My mom used to make this recipe a lot when I was little- and she always made it in a large pan which is one option if everyone likes the same ice cream. But…my kids and their friends love Birthday Cake ice cream and Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough the best, and so I decided to use muffin pans to make individual ice cream cupcakes. That way, you can serve a variety of flavors with a variety of toppings!
The crust is what my kids really, really love! I made it with Chocolate Wafers and a stick of butter (just call me Paula). It really is delicious and you can make it as thick or as thin as you like when you use a muffin pan. If you can’t find Chocolate Wafers, you can substitute Oreos…
1. First line the muffin pan with cupcake liners…
2. Make the CRUST by finely crushing Chocolate Wafers using a food processor.
3. Melt butter and pour into crushed wafers. Mix well. Spoon crust mixture into cupcake liners and level with a spoon or fork.
4. Add ice cream in any flavor you like or choose different flavors. You can customize these pretty easily!
5. Return cupcakes to freezer and let set. When ice cream has hardened, remove from freezer and add the toppings of your choice…
For the adults, I went with hot fudge and pecans. But, the kids chose chocolate syrup, whipped cream, and cherries! Of course, they did!
The most fun is getting to share them! These really are great for a crowd and great for pleasing a host of picky palettes when you can make different flavors. We loved sharing them and hope you will, too!
P.S. For the adult-version of the treat, I used Ben & Jerry’s Coffee Ice Cream. It was really yummy!